BlazBlue fans forgive me! I admit that I knew nothing about this excellent new era fighting game until last weekend when I first saw it in action at ColossalCon9. I had a chance to watch several matches, including some featuring our very own pandamajik putting forth a very valiant and impressive effort in his first time picking up this game while playing as long-reaching Hakumen and the unorthodox Arakune. I enjoyed the highly varied fighting styles of the featured characters, including the one above, Noel Vermillion. The first thing that popped into my head when watching her stylized dual pistol-wielding martial arts style was that it was seemingly inspired by the fictional “Gun kata” form first featured in the movie Equilibrium (hint: the movie is bad). Well surely enough Noel’s own BlazBlue Wiki page makes direct reference to it.
Noel has a very intriguing and admittedly cool-looking fighting style and a pretty badass looking ultimate attack. The highlight of this post is the Youtube video feature below, posted by GunblazeAkira featuring a variety of pretty awesome combos performed by Noel during a multiple fights. The video is set to the song “The Dark Side of the Light” performed by Fayan which is also an insert tune from the anime Ga-Rei Zero (descent’s take: 9/10, great series, the first episode will leave you with you mouth hanging wide open at the end, watch it!), which makes it decidedly more awesome. Even as a person who doesn’t typically play these games it is hard not to appreciate this. Enjoy and share your own thoughts below or on the video’s comment page:
Heck, while we’re at it, how about one more video:
[singlepic id=1068 w=320 h=240 float=center]
I admit that I wasn’t all that high on the ColossalCon 2010 Dealers Room selection when I first went through it last Friday and I honestly still believe that the it really was rather subpar. However, this being my second-ever convention and my first after becoming a massive Vocaloid fan I was nevertheless determined to bring home at least a few things for myself and even a gift or two for some of my good friends. So Saturday morning with a bit more determination and a little luck I was able to find several small but exciting trinkets that definitely brought a smile to my face for a reasonable price and I was definitely a little more impressed with the dealers. Please follow me past the jump to see a small photo-diary of all my purchases and try your best to excuse the ultra-amateur photography courtesy of my lack of skill and half-broken camera (no snide remarks panda!).
About 20 minutes into the Whose Line is it Anime panel, the flashing lights of the fire alarm start flashing followed by the announcement for everyone to go to the nearest exit. Just earlier in the evening there were reports of tornadoes in the area and at least one or two people even suffered from panic attacks due to that news. When we got outside it started raining (perfect timing right?). They set up some music with a minivan and everyone crowded around. Some people were still in rave outfits, some in cosplay. Either way it was a shame that they got rained on. After about 5 minutes standing outside in the cold rain they inform us that they are trying to figure out what is going on but the con will be shutting down for the night. This comes as a huge blow since it’s only halfway into the rave.
I later hear that the fire alarm was pulled by an individual and was not due to an actual fire.
I go with some friends up to their room and hang out. Just before 4 AM we get a knock on the door from someone instructing us to evacuate from our rooms into the basement. They cram a few thousand people into the basement. I was only down there for 5-10 minutes before they told us we could go back to our rooms.
Well, that certainly makes for an interesting con experience.
We will be posting pictures and writing a summary soon.
EDIT 6/7/2010 @ 11:53 AM
Based on information from Sajin_Zero, security staff for ColossalCon
Ok, looks like a few of you are confused and annoyed, and thats very understandable. I will answer what I can.
Regarding the fire alarms, there was a glitch in the system due to the rapidly changing weather conditions. This apparently happened once during the winter as well. No one pulled a fire alarm.
Now for the big one, the tornado warning. Let me first say that we on con security were just as thrilled as everyone else at the con. We’re not exactly fans of evacuating so many people into a basement, but when it comes to things like that, we have no say. We were originally under the impression that should a warning occur, we would be guiding con-goers into the basement by ourselves. This turned out to be incorrect, but Kalahari staff did not let us know. Their security staff, who we’d been working with since the beginning of the con, were posted outside to watch for funnel clouds, leaving the Kalahari event staff in charge of evacuations. So people were being given directions by the Kalahari staff, getting to the basement, and receiving different instructions from us. We apologize for the confusion we caused.
Now I’ve heard a few things on this thread that are incorrect, as we’ve talked to those who were in charge of evacuations. First and foremost, those who were running and banging on doors and shouting, you are not on our Christmas list. This is a good way to create panic, and the Kalahari staff were very upset about it. I understand the urgency, I really do, but if panic starts it will only make things worse. Remaining calm is essential. If you were going around and calmly asking people to move to the basement, thank you for your assistance. You may not know it but the Kalahari staff have done this exact same thing 2-3 times already this year.
Overall, I think we can all agree it was a very interesting Saturday night, and let’s all just hope for a little nicer weather next year!
Like what you’ve been reading? Please consider donating so we can get some better hosting. It’ll speed up load times for you guys as well.
Now at the Higurashi “Curse of Oyashiro” Panel. Looks like this host and panel are a frequent flyer at East Coast cons so hopefully you will get a chance to catch it at a later date if you missed it.
-We are starting out with the “Punishment Game”, a quiz contest for the audience while two victims, errr “Team Captains” sit up front wearing collars. The losing captain likely won’t enjoy what is coming their way if they lose…hehehehe….but the winners get cute headbands. Higurashi arc trivia is the basis for the questions being asked.
-As for Higurashi cosplayers in the audience. I count two very good Renas, a nice Rika, a guy I think is Satoshi, and a Haanyu as well, nano desu~Yo!
-Lots of Higurashi “virgins” in the audience, fairly surprising.
-The host just described the show a “pretty f%$^ed up”. You have to agree when you think about it, I mean the main plotline is basically: “Lolis and friends get murdered over and over again in mysterious ways till they figure out what the heck is going on.”
-We just discussed what I consider to be the very amazing hook that really gets people into the show, I know it did for me. At the start of the first episode we are introduced to the main character brutally murdering two of his female friends with a bat. The shocking and completely inexplicable imagery in those opening seconds are what left my jaw hanging and my brain thirsting for more.
-Higurashi has an interesting development pathway. It began as a mystery visual novel series, transitioned into a well-made anime, and eventually became the stuff of popular manga and doujin works as well.
-Ewwww, discussion of favorite moments, the candidates so far: Satoko being nailed to the cross, the fingernail (*puke*) machine, the Rika suicide (that was brave, intelligent, and one of my favorites), Satoko’s murder in the hospital, Rika’s request for the method of her death from Takono, Shion’s fall death and sudden remembrance. Man of these bring back tons of memories, all of them about what makes this show great!
-Character discussion time:
- Many people love Keichi’s forced cross-dressing after his Penalty games, lol poor guy.
- Omochekairi!!! You gonna get taken home people!!
- Lots of comments on Akasaka’s badassery, really did steal the show towards the end.
- Now an evil “Higurashi” laugh contest, lol, my ears hurt.
- Lots of back and forth debate on whether Haanyu was “useless” or just “deafetist” after so many centuries of trying. Personally I can’t really blame her despite my frustration with her character at time. Rika was always equally at fault in much of the suffering and even more so many truly unfair events had been conspiring against them for a long time.
-Plenty of Umineko fans here as well.
-Lolz now Haanyu is giving the audience some “Hau, Hau” service ftw. Almost as good as the original.
-Lol now for the crackpot theories: It was Osama! Rika is actually crazy and locked in an asylum dreaming away! Mion makes everyone trip out with shrooms! It was actually a TV show! Crackheads! Subliminal messages in the TV! Parasitic Alien Maggots! (kinda true….)
-Well this place is actually getting pretty rowdy and mixed up. I think I am going to call it here for the evening. Its been a long but tiring day. Glad I was able to share everything with people here on the blog.
Be sure to keep checking back for the big Colossalcon photodumps later in the week and plenty more posts as well. Thanks again and please leave any comments, questions, or suggestions here on the blog. Good night!
descent and pandamajik here. After a good hour of waiting we just got to our seats inside the main auditorium. pandamajik will be working on bringing everyone some high quality photos of the Masquerade while I try my best to keep some running commentary going. As expected it looks to be a rather packed house tonight which is what you can always expect from a convention’s premiere event.
Sitting two seats over from a Suigintou cosplayer right now. She always was my favorite Rozen Maiden character, being teased by that warm heart hidden inside her deep dark soul was always so tempting. Oh my little “Angel of Death” so cruel yet cute. I should thank the staff for having a very orderly seating procedure. It might be running a little behind schedule but for the most part groups are easily able to stick together and my handicapped fellow con-goers are being well accommodated. Look for things to get going in another 10 minutes or so.
Hurray someone has a chibi Stormtrooper doll, now there is something you don’t see everyday.
Just heard a cosplaying Marisa describe Touhou with the following quote: “Its a loli game where a bunch of lolis kill each other!” A very apt description I might add, and probably the big secret behind its appeal to the rabid fanbase. I mean how can you even mentally comprehend this much moe in one sitting?
Almost starting time I assume. The shenanigans with the stormtrooper and other associated dolls is still going on, displayed on the projector for all to see. Sitting next to two very friendly con-goers who are both doing some nice thematic cosplay. One is dressed in the Steampunk style and the other is wearing a tasteful China doll style outfit. Haha chibi-Deadpool now makes an appearance on the cameras.
And now we’re getting started! The hosts are greeting the audience and just announced that they will be giving away a trip to Japan tonight!
The judges have just introduced themselves. There will be 5 craftsmanship judges for cosplay and 3 presentation/skit judges. Fabulous cosplays by them all. Chris and Sonya will be the two judges for the Japan trip, not yet sure what they will be doing but I am excited to see.
pandamajik: Chris is also known as 4ng31 and is also working on Zero from Megaman X. He’s an amazing cosplayer.
Skit #1: Real Dance Battle
Seems like a rather random dance themed skit that hasn’t been fabulously choreographed. Props for the Haruhi and Lucky Star inserts though. And the fans got some pokeballs thrown at them.
No! They killed Carmeldansen girl :(, and for Christina Aguliera, really? Oh no Poker Face now too, I used to like that when I was less cool.
The Dragon Ball Spirit Bomb made of flexible plastic was beyond lame, as is most of the dancing unfortunately. The song selection is hit or miss but it works, its more fun than not.
A decent way to start off the show but it only gets a 5/10 from me.
Skit #2: Bittersweet Myu (A Sailor Moon Themed performance)
A solo dance performance to a Sailor Moon theme song I am not familiar with. A strong effort but not particularly impressive. Compliments to anyone who is willing to perform however. Props on the splits attempt at the end even if it didn’t end flawlessly.
Gets a 2/10 from me.
Skit #3 Hetalia’s A Little Bit Racist
A great play on some of the more controversial “stereotyping” aspects of the Hetalia series. Leading into a interpretation of the”Everyone’s a little bit racist” song. Japan and USA are the two featured performers early on.
Haha and now Canada makes a appearance, eh?
And here are Russia and China, some of the singing isn’t the very best but this is still pretty enjoyable.
Very nice costumes all around. I really enjoyed that, definitely a 8/10 for me (haha, to give myself some leeway for the rest of the night)
Skit #4 Nurse Joy Skit
Pallet Town’s Nurse Joy is apparently paying us a visit here at Colossalcon.
Oh wait she is secretly from Team Rocket!?!?! Transformation time! This is getting awful, oh man I don’t really want to watch anymore. Please get to the point. I mean its supposed to be an excuse for some standup but really this doesn’t float my boat at all. The performer doesn’t seem to feel any shame though, so props on the confidence. There, I said something nice.
Straight to the 1/10 Dustbin.
pandamajik: I hate to be mean but it’s at least a step better than last year’s. And shorter so the pain is less.
Looks like that is it for the skits, too bad there weren’t a few more waaaay to short. Was a fan of the Hetalia one however, they definitely stole the show.
Juniors first, we have an adorable 3-year old doing a Bleach Character.
Followed by a fairly decent Soul Eater Cosplay, self-made too so big props.
-Mechazolla from Cromartie High School, thats was big robot lol, must have took some work.
-Zeon Soldier from Mobile Suit Gundam, fairly impressive.
-Now a Riku from FFX2, decent effort.
-A Shinku from Rozen Maiden, I love me that show and her outfit.
-A Kelsey Steele from Duarara.
-A FFXIII cosplay.
-Buggy from One Piece, very well made
-A great Suigintou costume, saw it early today, was impressed even more up close.
-Legend of Zelda and Ookami team cosplay, 2 furries, pretty cool looking.
-Barry the Chopper from FMA, a very good effort.
-Pepe from Shugo Chara, very well done.
-Domo-kun! A big one too.
-A double Pretty Solider Sailor Moon Costume pair.
-Lightning from FFXIII, very well done.
-Hitsugaya and Byakuya from Bleach, good effort on the hair.
-Ash ,Dawn, Brock, and ummmm someone else from Pokemon, pretty well done though.
-Now a nice looking Tales of Symphonia cosplay, great work on the story.
-Space Captain Harlock, looking good.
-Gundam Exia from the show by the same name. He’s huge! And it looks good.
-Naruto Uzumaki cosplay, its been done obviously but its ok.
-Oh wow a C.C. from Code Geass, pretty cool.
-That got a cheer, a rather different but well done Elric Brother Team cosplay.
-Kraehe from Princess Tutu, thats a little different…
-Seras Victoria from Hellsing, thats one biiiig gun.
-Chobits cosplay, good work on the dress.
-And there is an Ichigo cosplay, run of the mill but props.
-A Zoid cosplay, very puffy but somehow it works and appeals.
-Temari from Naruto, nice fan for sure haha.
-“The Original Vizard”?, weird but sure.
-Haha a Gaiden Kakashi cosplay, there is getting creative with standard fare, I likes.
-Lol another Kakashi, not as good but its fine.
-A not that good Sonic cosplay, try harder please!
-Claire from Claymore, nice to see something different but could be alot better.
-LOL just got a Clorox Bleach bottle cosplayer, totally made my night, she wins my award haha!
-Roxas cosplay, needs more detail.
-Ino and Sauske from Naruto, the Sauske was well done.
-The sumo guy from Street Fighter, not that bad.
-Yay something different from Naruto! A Sasori cosplay, lots of work went into that. They had a huge cart for his larger form
-A good looking Blair costume from Soul Eater
-BlazBlue team cosplay, looks pretty good.
-WOW an amazing Tousen, not a lot of detail but the guy fits it so well. Love it.
-Another Sauske. The detail was just difficult to see from where we sat.
-.hack//SIGN team cosplay.
-Older Gaara from Naruto Shippuden, a pretty good cosplay.
-Blademaster from Monster Hunter Tribe, don’t know anything about it but its very detailed.
-Wow now a Silent Hill Pyramid Head, very good and scary.
-Athena from Saint Saiya, LOTS of work going into that, she looks golden and fabulous. The wings can actually expand and move.
-EVA Unit 1 from Eva, VERY BIG, hahaha, looks very top heavy, props on the effort there, looks good.
-Another C.C. from C.G., like this one is a little better.
-Soifon from Bleach, meh.
-Grell from Black Butler, wow.
-Testament and A.B.A, some very good looking props, VERY Impressive. From Guilty Gear, this is gonna win something.
-A very good Hetalia cosplay. Representing England, even stuck the Captain Morgan pose for the fans, lol.
-Chun-Li cosplay, looked pretty good.
Props to Christina Vee, the well known America VA apparently had to miss the con due to some industry work. She had the decency to tape an apology and message for all the fans, I know many were excited to see her and while it doesn’t completely make up for it I am sure it improves the situation.
Time for some games with audience participation. The first game will be “Questions Only”, contestant are only allowed to interact and converse with questions only. The conversation topic will apparently be “Ramen”. Lets see how this goes…
Lol everyone is failed, but sometimes that just makes it pretty funny, I like this game, I wanna play it sometime. The last girl who got picked just dominated, props to the underdog.
A video is now being shown, not sure what its about yet.
-The first part looks a like a fairly well made Kanagi AMV. A very nice touch, using K-On in the background for some of the shots.
-A pretty funny Yu-Gi-Oh gag interlude.
-Now a compilation AMV set to some awesome hardrock (“Life is Beautiful” by Sixx: AM), the theme: Life is Dark, but Beautiful. Some animes I can recognize: Higurashi, FMA, Code Geass, Naruto, and many more I can’t even begin to name. Ah there is some Haruhi, and Tokyo Magnitue 8, Soul Eater, FLCL, and many more. Not sure about the song but the catch line seems to be “No one will cry, at my funeral”. Any ideas people? Kinda want to save that one.
-Now those are some high quality AMVs.
Looks like I will get a chance to see the con video I missed on Friday now, lets see how this goes.
-A man eating a burrito, ok…
-Now a lampooning of the “Wheel of Morality” (kindly provided by Fox Kids Network).
-Haha now some crazy Japanese games how time, say the tongue twister or get kicked in the nads. LOLZ. Now funny faces brought to you courtesy of a rubber band around the nose. Oh those Japanese!
-Whoa now some Sumo random and lol-inducing.
-Now an AMV with the song “Watch Them Fall Down” by DJ Spoke. This looks promising but I can’t tell what it is yet. Looks like a very cool techno medley. Some Shakugan no Shana thrown in there. Catch line from the track seems to be “Watch them fall down…” definitely a techno beat, pretty solid. Ah now some AIR and Clannad, despite what is sounds like this is pretty dramatic. We’ll get the AMVs linked up on here soon when I can find them, this is very impressive. Just spotted C.C so there is another person I know. Wow this has such high production value, I promise I will feature this on the blog soon.
AMV made by Nostromo
Anime: Ah! My Goddess (Movie), Air, Akaiito (game), Appleseed: Ex Machina (movie), ARIA The ANIMATION (TV), Ashita no Kimi to Au Tame ni (~Till I Reach Your Tomorrow~) (Game), Carnelian, Chaos Wars (game), Chrono Crusade (TV), Clannad (TV), Code Geass – Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV), Daisuke Nakayama’s Global Astroliner, ef – a tale of memories (TV), Ef – The Latter Tale (Game), Ergo Proxy (TV), GANTZ, Gatekeepers, Ghost in the Shell: GIG2, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Godannar, Gun X Sword, Gunbuster 2 (Aim for the Top! 2), Haru no Ashioto (game), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (TV), Kiddy Grade (2nd Season promo), Macross Frontier (TV), Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, Melody of Oblivion, Night Wizard (TV), Place Promised in Our Early Days, The (Beyond the Clouds), Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea (Movie), Ray, Real Drive (TV), REC (TV), Shakugan no Shana (TV), Shakugan no Shana Second (TV), Shining Force EXA (game), Sky Girls (TV), So long, Mr. Despair (TV), Starship Operators, Third, The (TV), Tide-Line Blue, To Heart 2 (PS2), Tokyo Underground, W-Wish (Double Wish), Wild Arms 4 (Game), Xross Scramble (game), Ys I & II: Eternal Story (PS2), Zegapain (TV)
Music: DJ Spoke – Watch Them Fall Down (Montano Dub), DJ Spoke – Watch Them Fall Down (Original Mix)
That was really fun. Now it is award time, the judges are lining up to present the awards.
Honorable Mentions, the “fun” awards:
-Most “colorsafe”: Tia Molcon for the Bleach Chlorox Bottle, I loved it!
-“Props for props” award: Samantha Hagyle, Riku from FFX2 for her attributes and props.
-“Light speed Award”: Jordan Esselman for Sonic the Hedgehog, really though? It looked like it took 2 minutes to make but at least he is in character or rather he is a character.
-“Guts and Glory Award”: Tate Shuley, for his bravery by entering in the journeyman division at his first con.
-“Rising Star” Award: Christine Pangel for her amazing first time costume of Oreba Dia Vanille from FFXIII.
-Judge Award One: Chloe Kale, for Celty from Durarara. A very nice helmet design.
-Judge Award Two: Stephanie another first timer cosplaying Shinku from Rozen Maiden, I loved the effort she put into this, it looks perfectly authentic.
-Judge Award Three: Stephen Lodge, Chaos from Xenosaga III, the judge was very impressed with the use of stretch fabric in the cosplay.
-Judge Award Four: Karl Clover and Nirvana from BlazBlue, I really liked this one personally.
-Presentation Judge’s Award (for sass and audience love): Arianna Coffman as Lightning from FFXIII. (we’ll fix this later)
-Best Presentation: Space Channel 5, Skit #5, was kinda bleh imo, but they did try.
(all winners get free registration for next year’s con)
-Best Group Craftsmanship: The Ash, Dawn, Brock, and Paul cosplay group, They did a decent job and everyone looks fairly authentic, congrats.
-Kawaii Junior Award: Piper, Sena from Bleach, she looked absolutely adorable, another of my favorite characters.
-Junior Craftsmanship: Megan doing Maka from Soul Eater. A great self made costume for a 13 year old.
-Runner-up Novice Craftsmanship Award: For Domo-kun, but then again everyone loves him so it doesn’t matter.
-Novice Craftmanship: Miyaka from Fushigi Yuugi, sparkly.
-Runner-up Journeyman Craftsmanship: Witch Blair from Soul Eater, she really did have an awesome hat, I loved the authenticity of her entire outfit.
-Best Journeyman Craftsmanship: Becky, as Sauske from Naruto. Impressive work in adding on her scars and singing her costume for authenticity, up-close it really is amazing.
-Runners-up Masters Craftsmanship: Grell from Black Butler, a very awesome cosplay chainsaw and all. She just won in the master class after entering in journeyman, very impressive.
-Masters Craftsmanship: Testament and A.B.A from Guilty Gear, Great costumes and amazing props. Even designed in AutoCAD, from the moment he saw them pandamajik was sure they would win and win they did.
-Best in Show Award: Axis Powers Hetalia Skit, very deserving it was well planned and the characters fit very well. Congratulations!
-Cosplay Head Award: Linsey Lash for her Liger Zero cosplay from Zoids. The judge love her mobility and improvisation with a very hefty and complex costume.
And now on to the last award and the Japan trip! This will be a week long trip for two to Akibahara. They will also get preregistration pass
Japan Trip Award Winner: Christina Karl Williams for her Pirate England cosplay from Axis Powers Hetalia. A great costume and show put on by here. Very awesome indeed and many many congratulations, I am sure she will have the time of her life.
And thats a wrap folks, thanks for hanging with us. Congratulations to all the winners it was a great show and a great time.
EDIT: 6/8/2010 6:48 PM
Awards list from Aquas Rhapsody
The first set of awards are major awards that count towards your awards total for moving up in division. The second set are judge’s and special awards for cosplayers that did an amazing job as well. The last set were extra “just for fun” awards.
Overall Best Craftsmanship/Japan Prize- Crystina Williams as Pirate England from Axis Powers Hetalia
Best Master Craftsmanship- Alexandria and Nick as Testament and A, B, A from Guilty Gear
Runner-Up Master Craftsmanship- Courtney Segota as Grell Sutcliffe from Black Butler
Best Journeyman Craftsmanship- Becki Yoakam as Sasuke from Naruto
Runner-Up Journeyman Craftsmanship- Morgan Fitzgerald as Blair from Soul Eater
Best Novice Craftsmanship- Angela Johnson as Miaka from Fushugi Yugi
Runner-Up Novice Craftsmanship- Kyle Ehnsberger as Domo-Kun from NHK
Junior Craftsmanship- Megan Muniak as Maka Alburn from Soul Eater
Kawaii Junior Award- Piper as Sena from Bleach
Best Group Cosplay- Christa Boocher, Paul Boocher, Dawn McLaughlin, and Marie Ballard as Dawn, Ash, Paul, and Brock from Pokemon
Aqua’s Rhapsody’s Award- Stephen Lodge as Chaos from Xenosaga III
Oshi’s Award- Chloe Keil as Celty Sturlson from Durarara!
Jenny-chan’s Award- Stephanie Vanzandt as Shinku from Rozen Maiden
Sugar’s Award- Lauren Correntot and Carrie K. as Nirvana and Carl Clover from Blaz Blue
Bobbi’s Award- Lindsey Lash as Liger Zero from Zoids
Props for Props- Samantha Hagle as Rikku from FF X-2
Rising Star- Christine Pongle as Oreba Dia Vanille from FFXIII
Lightspeed Award- Jordan Eshelmon as Sonic from Sonic
Colorfast Award- Tia Molchan as Colorox Bleach
Guts and Glory- Tait Clewley as Naruto from Naruto
Best in Show – Hetalia Everyone’s A Bit Racist
Best Presentation – Space Channel Five
It’s a packed room just like last year.
They finally have everything set up, running two computers from a hotel luggage cart.
The original Toonami intro, even before TOM. It has the Thundercats, Sailor Moon, and the flying saucer as the mascot. From 1998
Another Toonami intro. He just asked how many people were at the Toonami panel last year. Only a handful of people raised their hands so he said he would be able to show a bunch of the clips from last year. Looks like it might be close to a repeat of last year but you won’t hear me complaining.
He prefers Moltar to TOM.
Intro featuring Moltar. It’s got Sailor Moon, Super Friends, Dragonball Z, Johnny Quest. Still 1998.
6: 21 PM
He’s going to show all five daily intros. He turned them all into MP3s and listened to them in the morning.
Sailor Moon, Thundercats (with a rape scene), Dragonball Z, Johnny Quest. 1999. Still with Moltar.
There were specialized intros for each show.
First up is Sailor Moon. “The music was cool”
Reboot is next. It’s one of those shows that uses CG graphics like Beast Wars.
Some of the commercials back then were pretty funny. It’s a Lawrence of Arabia commercial for Got Milk.
Cartoon Network had a lot of funny commercials of their own, including one about Cow and Chicken about working nude if it’s tasteful.
Dragonball Z intro. Lots of powering up.
At this point there’s even more people in the room. It’s standing room only.
TOM is now on. Gundam 08th MS Team
Next is Batman Beyond
The Big O intro. To be honest it really confused me when I first watched it.
Blue Submarine No. 6. I remember watching this after school on a Friday afternoon.
Dragonball the original series. I remember watching this during dinnertime as often as I could. Great times.
Gundam Wing. Somehow I missed this entire show during its run.
He-Man. By the power of Greyskull!
.hack//SIGN Never got into this show that much. I think I was really annoyed by the main character’s voice.
Hamtaro. Great show. I loved watching this every afternoon after school. Kind of ashamed to ever talk about it with anyone else at the time.
Johnny Quest. The actual intro is cool enough that Toonami kept the actual intro instead of making their own.
Powerpuff Girls. Another show that I watched a lot of mostly because I really loved Mojo Jojo.
Robotech, which is the US version of Macross combined with two other shows.
Sailormoon. Watched it in China when I was a kid.
Transformers Armada. I remember when this came out and thinking it looked too good.
Tenchi Muyo. Probably the first harem show I ever watched.
Voltron. Another show I watched as a kid. I actually have a hat in the basement at home.
Zoids. Pretty cool show and I really wanted to have the toys.
Outlaw Star. Loud applause from everyone.
Moltar speech about teamwork.
They started incorporating their internet games.
Another Moltar speech about Hero.
Requests for Yu Yu Hakusho. It’s a really good song and has a sweet intro.
Character profiles. Gundam Wing – Duo Maxwell.
Loud requests for Kenshin. I used to listen to the soundtrack all the time. It’s the English version of the song “Freckles”. I’m more of a fan of the Japanese version. Note to self – look into cosplaying the kid from it.
Midnight Run started around this time. Cowboy Bebop. One of the best intros EVER. It’s what got me back into anime in my teenage years.
Showing some final clips.
End of panel.
- Well here I am at the one and only Colossalcon panel to dedicated to helping Otakus “achieving success in romantic interactions”, wow host made that sound awkward. Well whatever, a friend of the blog is doing this so I will just have to suck it up and do what I can here. I am trying to keep a straight face while doing this, not because the advice is bad but because I know this will be hilariously awkward. I will put the advice and discussion mostly in my own words here, its probably a way that I can best get the point across to everyone. So understand that this is mostly a paraphrase or my take on what is being discussed.
- Step one in having success in Romance and Dating is confidence! Expecting oneself to be taken seriously when it is evident that you don’t respect yourself is simply the short road to disaster and disappointment. Ask yourself some harsh questions, are you comfortable with yourself? Do you respect yourself? Are you confident in at least SOME of your abilities? Well if you do you will eventually be able to be confident in romantic situations. It will take some practice and some embarrassment but it is a necessary step on the path to success.
- A confidence handout is being passed out, it gives some useful tips to breaking the ice in potentially awkward or difficult social situations. Always greet the person you are approaching with a smile and warmth. Offer innocent but genuine compliments. Acting like a jerk is never going to bring you more that some momentary cool points and no lasting and fulfilling entanglements. If you aren’t accepted or treated in kind do not take this as a judgment on you if you have approached them with kindness, it says much more about the other party!
- Please do not get caught playing the “he/she is out of my league game”. There is no such thing. Rejection and acceptance happens to everybody, you are not going to die if you are brushed off. If you aren’t acting like a creep or a stalker you can always hold your head high and know that you deserve something better.
- Conversation and interaction is the fastest path to success in romance. The seeds of love can never germinate if you don’t spend time getting to know the other part. Brooding or playing the shy game is never going to lead anywhere. If you care enough about something, go out and try to get it.
- Man so many posers in here. I think this is awkward too but seriously stop playing some of you pretenders. “I don’t need this, I’m not THAT awkward”. I am not judging you because your at the con, so am I, I am judging you because I can tell you are hilariously socially inept and are trying to play it off instead of taking some decent advice. Get you butts back in the seats and stop leaving you need this alot more than the rest of us!
- Saying hello is the only way to create a new social opportunity for yourself, do not let it slip away and regret later. However don’t set quotas for yourself. Follow your conscience and heart.
- More pretender leavers booo! I didn’t like your Miku cosplay anyway, no one can looks as good in that outfit as my princess!
- Ahh more good advice, do not use the above tips on someone if they have a restraining order against you! Hahahaha…
- Don’t be a creeper! Be honest, upfront, and genuine. Know when no means no, it rhymes! Introduce yourself to everyone and don’t waste on relationships that are likely to go nowhere. No following! There is nothing in it for you besides shame and ridicule. Be honest with yourself people and use common sense!
- @Panel Host: stop trying to define the limits of creeping your making this a little weird and will give people the wrong idea. Everyone knows when its creeping, just be honest with yourself, you should be able to tell if someone wants to talk with you and stalking is NEVER ok.
- Your not the only one who might be socially awkward in a certain situation. Think about the other person too! There are plenty of shy and confidence lacking individuals you might want to get to know better. Be yourself, be honest, deliberate, warm, and confident. Do not over step you bounds and make sure that people learn quickly that they can trust you and enjoy your company.
- Money quote: “Do not spend you life sitting in your basement telling yourself “I’m a nice guy, why can’t I find a girl who loves me”, I can already tell you whats wrong!” Life will not put happiness at your doorstep, it must be earned.
- Relationships will only blossom with time, thus be prepared to invest the time if you are going to go soulmate searching. Do not let fears and anxieties deprive you of a fulfilling life.
- There are always others who will like the things you do and appreciate you for who you are, the only way you will find these people if you take the time to meet others.
- If you feel you need friends present to help build you confidence, make use of them! Feeling more confident in the presence of people you know might help give you the boost you need to have success.
- You can meet people anywhere, work, school, cons, even on the internet. Honestly, confidence, and genuine warmth are the key to success in any setting. Choose settings where you can be yourself. Throwing yourself blindly into random situations might not lead to great success.
- The panel host says he has had success meeting many girls on the con forums, well there is a tip for all you otaku’s, get active on the boards and it might lead to something great. I can’t say I really vouch for this but if the values I am stressing like honesty and kindness are there a friendship that develops online will smoothly transition to the face-to-face environment.
- Do not try to script you conversations, sometimes it might be necessary to change the way you write or speak but do this based on experience and actual feedback rather than simply what you think other people want to heard. Especially on a faceless message board how you type and write represents a large part of who you are, use emoticons liberally, :)!
- Know that there is no such thing as an idyllic relationships. There are always going to be bumps down any road you travel, always strive for happiness and work hard to overcome the sadness and disappointments will always come from time to time. Life will always bring the unexpected, do not hold on to your illusions and naivete. As I said happiness must always be earned but will always be rewarding whether it lasts fleetingly or for a life time. We are human after all.
- Lots of discussion of fail convention proposals. Just serves to help dispel the Hollywood stereotype of perfect love. Love will never be perfect and whether is arguments about bills and dishes or Warcraft and cosplay there will always be disagreements. It is the couples who can discus their issues and overcome them that they will be truly successful.
- Crises are always part of a relationship, overcoming them is one of the first steps to happiness. Compromise is the true foundation of a happy relationship. Both parties must always accept the genuine self of their significant others.
Well now comes the hug exercise. I am going to wrap it up here. Hope you all learned some useful things, don’t know if I did yet but I’ll try to remember what I heard. See you later on today!
It’s run by the girl who was doing the Osamu Tezuka panel (Cody) and is part of “Speed-Wagon” so I know it’s going to be good. She’s cosplaying as Nausicaa. The other panelist is Matt Romeo.
Find a character that you’re familiar with.
You don’t have to start out doing intricate math. You can start out with patterns. Her cosplay is made from three different patterns put together. Some good sites:
- Butterick (more common wear)
- Simplicity (good for more formal attire)
- McCall (another more basic one)
- Burda Fashion (sizing is a bit weird)
- Folkwear (good for asian formal wear such as kimonos)
More often than not you can find sales on patterns since they usually run for around $10. It’s good to put them in a manila envelope and file them in a filing cabinet.
Don’t use satin- it’s very hard to work with. It burns easily, it frays, it stains easily, and it wrinkles easily. You also have to use stabilizers since it will shift around on your sewing machine. It’s not cheap and it’s difficult to work with. It’s not the answer.
Kona cotton is good for beginners. It’s easy to work with, doesn’t wrinkle that much, and is amazing. When working with military or more historic uniforms use twill. It’s about $6-7 a yard. Twill will also hold creases for pleated skirts. You can use “extreme starch.”
Buy the right thread. Use matching thread or else it will stick out like a sore thumb. A tip is to use slightly darker thread than the color of the fabric if you cannot match it perfectly.
Get a wig. Get a wig. Get a wig.
Cody told a story about having to pay $200 in hotel fees when a friend wanted to bleach and dye their hair for a cosplay.
Amphigory also has the same color extensions and also other accessories. Cosworx is run by the people who run Cosplay.com and you should give them about a month to ship and get it to you.
Aquanet in the purple can will help for styling wigs. The other one is got2b glue. Aquanet is cheaper (a bit over $1).
Wear wig caps. It also helps keep your wigs in place. Pin it in place after putting it on.
Go to the local thrift store for some boots, shoes, etc. for really cheap that you can easily modify if needed.
Buy some comfy insoles at the local store if you’re going to be walking around all day. You can find amazing insoles and padding at places that sell stripper clothes.
Wear makeup. Mary Kay is your best friend.
Nobody has perfect skin, especially in photographs. Bare Minerals is a good mineral makeup. If you have some sort of allergic reaction stop using it immediately. If you’re not going to use the mineral route (it does get pricey) you can go liquid or powder. There’s a good Maybelline that’s good if you perspire a lot or if you have red areas. Concealer is good for covering the bags under your eyes. Use SuperStay Concealer by Maybelline. If you have a really red face get green concealer and put it on the red spots first before putting on the rest of your makeup. Another recommendation is using brushes to get everything even. Also get some blush and just get the apples of your cheeks so you don’t look super pale. Always use eyeshadow to make you pop out a bit more. Mascara is good since anime characters usually have really full eyes.
Don’t share makeup.
Take care of your skin all year round
Cover up your tattoos if you’re going to show that area of your body.
Don’t keep your makeup for too long. They have expiration dates. Don’t be a pack rat. Before applying makeup wash your face.
They can add that extra little bit to your cosplay. It can be a plus for judges when competing.
Don’t borrow your friend’s contacts!
Practice your poses in the mirror. You might look dumb but it’ll help a lot before people take lots of pictures of you and posts them online.
Makeup is also recommended since a lot of photographers use flash.
Always check out the photoshoots. Be yourself and have fun. It’s a good way for people to recognize your outfit or make some friends.
Set up a Cosplay.com or American Cosplay account. Another good way to make friends or use the marketplace. It’s a very good place to get hints/tips/advice. I can personally attest to this last part.
When binding inhale first and then bind. This way it’s a lot more comfortable. Ace bandages are pretty easy to use.
Screen printing stuff is the best to use. Hand painting can be troublesome and time consuming.
- The first topic being discussed is time dilation and the Universal Speed limit (aka nothing can go faster than the speed of light). Many props to these guys for trying there best to explain relativity without delving too much into mathematics. Very interesting that they used a Futurama clip to demonstrate it. The are now discussing E=mc^2, one of physics’ most important equations which proves the equivalence of Energy and mass and its relationship to velocity and acceleration. In short, as an object’s velocity increases due to the addition of energy its mass will gradually increase. Thus as the speed of an object approaches the speed of light its mass will increase to an extent that it would become almost impossible to accelerate the object any further. For example a ping-pong ball accelerated to near the speed of light (.999c) would weight something in the range of 2 tons.
- They actually showed and explained the equation for time dialation and length deformation, a little over the head of the audience but both are essential and very relevant to building a true foundation towards understanding relativity.
OOOOPS somehow the rest of this got cut off it seems, sorry about that guys, but oh wells, it wasn’t too scientific after this part anyhow, but still a good panel!
I know my compatriot pandamajik has been hard at work blogging some fabulous panels, I can’t make the claim for myself yet as I have had a rather eclectic morning. Before I head off to “The Science Behind Anime” let me just mention a little bit of what I have managed to get to this morning:
- Spent nearly an hour in the dealers room earlier. Let me say that I am usually biased against many of their largely over priced wares but I have actually managed to find some decent deals on things I like. I managed to find some decent quality mid-sized posters for 2/$5 which is pretty fair. There is also a stand selling a wide variety of nice pins for 3/$5. Plenty of small models and chibi are around as well that are almost impossible to get without importing, definitely worth shopping around (WISELY!) tomorrow morning for some deals if there are any to be had.
- While cleaning up my Vocaloid post this morning I casually got around to watching the first episode of Haibane Renmaei. Another series I have heard much about but haven’t seen. I am definitely planning to watch it now, looks very promising and mysterious.
- Managed to take a couple of fun cosplay pictures this morning that we will put up later this week. Found a Cirno/Reimu pair, got some pics of a Marisa/Yukari bubble fight, and a couple of other fun ones. I will try to catch some more later today and I know Joe has been hard at work with his SICK camera taking lots of amazing pics.
- Am currently at the Female Stereotypes in Anime panel. It looks like it turned into a conversational back and forth regarding social commonalities of anime fans and takes to female depictions. I have only managed to sit in for the final few minutes but it looks like everyone had lots of fun.
Now onto more panels!